Blicke in die Welt um 1900 – 18
»The larger part of the great world of Paris lies at our left, east and southeast of Napoleon’s Arch of Triumph on which we stand. The Seine runs southwest diagonally through the part of the town before us; the Eiffel Tower is on the south bank but the Trocadero, that building with the two towers, is on our side of the river. The Pont d’Iena (Jena Bridge) crosses the river between the Trocadero and the Tower; the Avenue d’Iena runs from a point down below us, just at the left, out to the bridge. This is the Avenue Kleber, whose long rows of dark rounded trees masses make so beautiful a contrast with the regularity of the buildings on either side.
The Trocadero, named from a fort of Cadiz taken by the French in 1823, was built for the international exposition of 1878, and has been kept as a museum of sculpture and ethnography. Its tower affords magnificent views.
The Champ-de-Mars, where the Eiffel Tower stands, used to be a military parade ground, but has been the main site of the Paris expositions of 1867, 1878, 1889 and 1900. The tower itself was built 1887-9 and is the tallest structure in the world, 984 feet high. The foundations of masonry are laid on a bed of concrete and cover about 2 ½ acres. That first platform is 190 feet above the ground and has an area of 5.860 sq. yds. The second platform, 380 feet high, covers 1.024 sq. yds. The third platform, 904 feet from the ground, has room for an assembly of 800 people.
The Tower is a beautiful demonstration of the possibilities of steel construction in architectural engineering. This tower, the prophecy and apotheosis of them all, is the work of a Dijon engineer for whom it is named.«
St. Jaques Tower and Montmartre Heights in distance, Paris, France, 1900
Ein stereoskopischer Ein-Blick in die Welt um 1900 … (wird fortgesetzt)
(alle Bildunterschriften und Texte sind den Vorder- bzw. Rückseiten der Stereokarten entnommen)
Private Collection / Private Sammlung
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Blicke in die Welt um 1900 – 18,” an entry on Ortskundeprüfung
- 21. März 2012 / 09:11